The New Apple iPad – view photos & features
The iPad is a phenomenal business case. 15.4 million units were shipped last quarter – more than any PC maker sold of their PC’s. Over 200,000 apps that have been custom made for iPad are now available in the iTunes store.
The new iPad comes with the following features:
- Retina display – with a resolution of 264 pixels per inch and a 44% greater saturation than iPad2 Apple are calling this “the best mobile display ever”
- 5 Mexapixel camera with image stabilization, autofocus and exposure lock plus auto face detection capable of recording full HD video
- High-speed 4G LTE (long tem evolution) supported by Verizon and AT&T in the US (and hopefully Telstra over here)
- Powered by a quad-core A5X chip
- Personal hotspot – so you can use your iPad as a wireless modem to connect other devices to the Internet
- 9.4mm thin, weighs 1.4lbs (slightly heavier than iPad2)
- 10hrs battery life
Existing iPad apps will be scaled up automatically for the new retina display and text will automatically be rendered in hi-res according to Phil Schiller (SVP Marketing, Apple).
The new iPad launches on March 16th but you can pre-order in the US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and … AUSTRALIA!
iPad 2 will continue to be manufactured with the price for the 16GB Wifi model dropping $100 in the US.
Also covered in todays announcement…
iPhoto has been given a big update as well with many new tools to for the semi-professional photographer on the move. iPhoto will help you crop, fix contrast, brighten, tweak saturation and white balance, reduce red eye, add brush effects, sharpen/soften/darken or click a general ‘repair’ button to let Apple work its own magic for you. Looks very clever.
The new Apple TV will still retail for $99 and is available in the US from March 16th.
A new version of Apple’s mobile operating system was also announced including a Japanese Siri.